Lodging, Attractions. and Recreation
Republic Michigan is located by the
Michigamme River, 25 miles southwest of Ishpeming and 45
miles north of Iron Mountain on Highway M-95 in the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan. The village of Republic grew up
around the Republic Mine which operated from 1872 to
Recreation abounds in the area
with birding, fishing, canoeing & kayaking, hiking,
biking, horseback riding, wildlife watching, off-roading, hunting,
ATVlng, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and
- Rental Cabins,
Cottages, Lodges, and Campgrounds in Republic, MI
- Moose Rapids Campground has 12 rustic grass sites (2 pull-through) by the Michigamme River, 7 miles west of Republic on River Road (County Road LG). Sites have a fire ring, grill, and picnic tables. There are two porta-potties and a hand pump for water. Nice peaceful location by the river. Enjoy fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and ATVing. Donation of $5 per site recommended. Contact the Republic Township Hall at 906-376-8827 for reservations.
- New Listing: Northern Lights Campground in Republic offers 11 RV sites with water and electric service and 12 sites with water available for tent camping. Some sites are handicap accessible. Sites have fire pits and a picnic table. Vault toilets. RV dump station. Located on Park City Road between the Michigamme River and School Lake and near the south entrance to the Iron Ore Heritage Trail. Daily, weekly, and monthly rates. Contact the Republic Township Hall at 906-376-8827 for reservations.
- Pine Crest
Pine Crest Lane, Republic, Michigan, 49879. Phone:
906-376-8237 or Cell: 906-371-0090. Remote lakeside
cottages on the Michigamme River and Juncob Lake. Pine
Crest offers outstanding northern style accommodations
for all, from sportsmen to families to honeymooners.
Cottages are fully furnished with complete kitchens.
Finish Sauna. Great fishing, hunting, and rock
collecting. On theATV and snowmobile trails.
BEACH, BOAT LAUNCH, AND PLAYGROUND
The sandy beach, playground, and boat launch on the Michigamme River is located at the junction of M-95 and LLK Road, the road to Republic.Perfect for kids of all ages.
Quaal Recreation Area in Ishpeming (map) for year round family
fun. Al Quaal features hiking, mountain biking, trail
running, and cross country ski trails as well as a picnic
area, playground, tennis courts, and fishing in Teal Lake.
There are 20K of groomed cross country ski trails.
Boat, Canoe, & Kayak Rentals
Canoe and Kayak rentals for Lake Michigamme at Michigamme Shores Campground. Phone:906- 339-2116
- R Cabins are located only 21 miles south of Republic and offer a duplex log cabin and four one bedroom cabins with kitchens that sleep up to 5 guests. Each duplex unit has 2 bedrooms, a kitchen area, and a gas fireplace. Connecting door between the two units for large groups. Wireless Internet Service. Located in the Copper Country State Forest for hunting and near Sawyer Lake, the Michigamme Reservoir, and many other lakes for fishing and boating. Snowmobile & ATV trail access. Bait Shop with fishing supplies. Pets welcome. N12178 Highway M-95, Channing, MI 49815. Phone: 906-542-6995.
Michigamme, MI (Marquette County) In the North Central Upper Peninsuila.
Michigamme Shores Campground is located on the shores of Lake Michigamme and offers pull through, full hookup, tent sites, and camping cabins. Modern restrooms shower, and laundry facilities. Well stocked camp store. Nice sandy beach for swimming. Great fishing. Basketball, beach volleyball, tennis courts with rental equipment available. Boat, canoe, and kayak rentals. Wi-Fi. Pets Welcome. Highway 41W 64 Purple Road, Michigamme, MI Phone: 906- 339-2116
Country Ski Trails
for Marquette County
Lake Superior Sport Fishing Charter Fishing on Lake Superior with licensed Captain Reid DeRosie. Fish for a variety of fish or a trophy Lake Trout at Stannard Rock. We offer charter fishing from Munising and Manistique a few times during the summer. Quality fishing gear provided. Fish the inland lakes early spring and fall. Sightseeing Trips and Sunset Cruises from Marquette Lower Harbor. Lake Superior Sport Fishing, Marquette, MI. Phone 906-360-1090
- Iron Ore Heritage Trail is a 48-mile, multi-use,
year round trail from Republic to the east side of
Marquette. The trail includes historic sites and stories
of the Marquette Iron Range and our mining heritage. The
western trailhead is in Republic. This trail is designed
for walkers, bikers, runners, nature lovers, equestrians,
cross-country skiers, snowshoers, and those interested in
the history of the area. Parts of the trail will be for motorized activities.
- Mountain Biking: The Range Mountain Bike Trail System
offers over 25 miles of trails for biking and hiking with
trailheads in Ishpeming at the Country Village, Suicide
Bowl, on Hill Street, or at the Al Quaal Recreation Area.
Bikers will also enjoy riding the back roads in the
area and on the Heritage Trail.
Pascoe House Museum is owned and operated by the
Republic Area Historic Society, 114 Cedar Street, South
Republic. Hours: 1:00 - 3:00 PM Saturday & Sunday from
Memorial Day to Labor Day. Phone: Mary Lou at 906-376-2335
or LaVerne at 906-376-2258
Rafting the Sturgeon River with Northwoods Adventures in Iron Mountain, Michigan. Located at the corner of M-95 & US-2 on the north side of Iron Mountain, Northwoods Adventures offers several rafting trips daily. Experienced rafting guides. All equipment provided. Call to schedule a thrilling ride down these exciting rapids. Northwoods Adventures Rafting Outfitter, N4017 US Highway 2, Iron Mountain, MI 40901. Phone: 906-563-5450
Republic Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 201,
Republic, Michigan 49879.
Republic Mine Observation Site
- Overlooking the open pit mine in Republic, just
south of Munson Park. Raised platform offers impressive
views of the Mine property and Republic area. Six etched
signs describe the mining process.
The area north of Van Riper State Park is Moose
country at it's finest. 59 Moose were transplanted in 1985
& 1987 to an area six miles north of the park. The herd
has grown with the birth of new calves each year. A slow
drive through the area north of the park may reward you with
the sight of one of these majestic animals. Stop at the
kiosk at the Park for pictures and information.
The Michigamme River is a wonderful spot for boating,
canoeing, and fishing. Sand-bottomed beach for swimming and
a playground for the kids in the town of Republic. Fish for
Small-Mouth Bass, Perch, Walleye, Northern Pike, Trout, plus
a variety of panfish, delicious cooked on the grill. Several
area places to launch your boat or canoe.
Hunters will enjoy the large areas of public land
nearby for hunting deer, bear, waterfowl, and small
History lovers might like to visit the Iron Industry
Museum in Negaunee, which tells the tale of the discovery of
iron ore in the area, the Cliff's Shaft Museum in Ishpeming,
or the National Ski Hall of Fame.
collecting in the Upper Peninsula
Republic Open Pit
Towns and Cities Page
The Upper Peninsula
Exploring the North Home
Photo of kayaks on the Michigamme River: Gretchen
Registered Copyright 2007
by char simons, the webmaster for Exploring
the North, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Except as permitted
under the Copyright Act of 1976, as Amended, this web site
may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner.
Unless authorized by the webmaster of Exploring the North,
Inc., reproduction of any picture, web page or pages on the
Exploring the North website for placement on the internet is
a copyright infringement. All right, title and interest in
and to the material on the web pages, the web site, in whole
or in part, and in and to this url and the urls contained
within, is the property of char simons, the webmaster for
Exploring the North, Inc. Website created on an Apple