Calumet Michigan Lodging and Business
Located in the Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
The cities of Calumet and Laurium are located on Highway US-41, 12 miles north of Houghton/Hancock. Calumet is on the west side of the highway and Laruium is on the east side.
LODGING and BUSINESSES
HOTELS AND MOTELS
New Listing: AmericInn Lodge and Suites Calumet is located 11 miles north of Houghton/Hancock and one block west of Highway US-41 in the Keweenaw Peninsula. The AmericInn of Calumet features comfortable guest rooms and suites, Free high-speed internet, and an indoor salt-water pool, hot tub, and sauna. Complimentary hot AmericInn Perk breakfast. Within walking distance to historic sites and downtown Calumet for shopping and restaurants. Pets Welcome. Easy snowmobile and ATV trail access. Near Swede Town cross-country ski trails. AmericInn of Calumet. 56925 South 6th Street. Calumet, Mi 49913. Front Desk: 906-337-6463
Trailside Lodge is located on Highway US-41, on the north side of Calumet, MI. The lodge offers 28 newly renovated rooms with cable TV, microwave, fridge, coffee makers, and Wi-Fi. At door parking with large parking lot for your vehicles. On the ATV and Snowmobile Trails with ATV/UTV and Snowmobile rentals at the office. Wonderful riding in the beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula. Close to restaurants, shopping, and the many attractions in the Keweenaw National Historic Park. Pets Welcome. Trailside Lodge, 57900 US-41, Calumet, MI 49913. Phone: (906) 337-9905
CABINS AND COTTAGES
Cottage. Located 3.5 miles from Calumet
on the shores of Lake Superior. Housekeeping cottage with
extra amenities sleeps up to 6. Open year round. Trout
stream runs along side of cottage. Shoreline on Lake Superior for sitting, relaxing, and watching fantastic sunsets. Tamarack Waterworks Road, Calumet, MI
49913. Phone 906-337-3127
Quincy Mine Guided Underground and Surface Tours of the Historic Quincy Copper Mine, part of the Keweenaw National Historic Park. Tours of the Quincy Mine Site include a Surface Only Tour, Surface Tour with Tram Ride, and the Full tour that includes a trip into the 7th level of the mine. Our knowledgeable guides will take you back to the time when Copper was King. The Gift Shop is filled with books, rocks & minerals, shirts, and a wide variety of interesting items. The grounds are open to the public free of charge so stop by and visit this historic mine site. Quincy Mine Hoist Association, 49750 US Highway 41, Hancock MI 49930. Phone: 906-482-3101
Sand Point Charters in the Keweenaw Peninsula offers Charter Fishing, Lighthouse Cruises, and Scenic Tours on Lake Superior. Boats leave from Lac La Belle, 40 miles north of Houghton/Hancock for a wonderful day or ½ day on the water. Fish for Lake Trout, Salmon, and a variety of fish, view the offshore lighthouses, or take a relaxing cruise along the beautiful shoreline of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Captain Brain Helminen has over 35 years of boating and fishing experience and the boats are DNR inspected and approved and equipped with essential fishing equipment and USCG approved safety gear. Phone 906-370-2257
ATV and SNOWMOBILE RENTAL
Snowmobile, ATV, & WaveRunner Rentals is
located 10 miles north of Houghton and Hancock. Snowmobile
rentals include Castle brand jackets & bibs and HJC
helmets with frost-free hot shields. Sled rental is for a
23-hour day so sleds can be kept overnight. Delivery
available to Houghton/Hancock and surrounding area. We are
located at tje Trailside Lodge in on the north side of Calumet. Ride from the shop door. Copper Country Rental at the Trailside Lodge..57900 US-41, Calumet, MI 49913. Phone: (906) 337-9905 for
* * * * * * * * * *
EXPLORING CALUMET and LAURIUM, MICHIGAN
Calumet and Laurium were boom-towns during the copper mining days in the Keweenaw with the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company, the richest and biggest mining company of them all. Laurium was more of a residential community with fine old mansions, many still privately owned and beautifully maintained. Now these smaller communities have interesting historical places to visit as well as delightful shops. Both towns are part of the Keweenaw National Historical Park, a historic district including landmarks in Calumet, the Quincy Hoist in Hancock, and the smelter in Ripley.
KEWEENAW NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK
The Keweenaw was the site of America’s first copper rush in 1847, a wild and difficult frontier for those who lived there. Established in 1992, this newest National Park commemorates the heritage of copper mining and encompasses numerous cooperating sites from Ontonagon to Copper Harbor telling the story of the mines, the machinery, and the people. The information desk is located at the Quincy Mine Gift Shop.
Keweenaw History Center
The Keweenaw Tourist Information building is located at the junction of Highway US-41 and the Lake Linden Road (M-26). Open daily so be sure to stop for your free information for things to see and do while visiting the Keweenaw Peninsula.
Coppertown Mining Museum is located on Red Jacket Road between US-41 and downtown Calumet. Phone: 906-337-4354
Calumet Theater & Village Hall. The magnificent opera house was opened March 20, 1900 and offers programs throughout the year. It was built with red sandstone from nearby Jacobsville and is a National Historic Landmark. Open for guided & self-guided tours during the summer. Located at the corner of Elm & Sixth Street. Phone: 906-337-2610
The Upper Peninsula Firefighters Memorial Museum was built around 1900 using Jacobsville sandstone from the shores of Lake Superior. The Memorial Museum is also known as the Red Jacket fire station and is located at 327 6th street across from the Calumet Theater. Several old fire trucks and equipment are on display. The stable for the horses is at the rear of the fire hall.
The 1913 Italian Hall Memorial Park marks the site the horrible disaster at a Christmas Party on the second floor of the building that killed 73 men, women, and children in a stampede as they all tried to get down the narrow stairway. There is an arch from the doorway to the stairs and a historical marker.
Firefighters Memorial Museum
Italian Hall Memorial Park
Swedetown Trails – 18 miles of groomed cross-country trails that wander through rolling hills are located on the south side of Calumet in the 1400 acre Swedetown Recreation Area. Chalet. 21 miles of single track mountain bike trails with maps and trail markers and more than 20 miles of groomed cross-country ski trails. Winter sledding hill. Phone: (906) 337-1170
Enjoy your visit to Calumet and Laurium in the beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula.
© 2012 by Char Simons, webmaster. All Rights Reserved. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act of 1976, as amended, this web site may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner. Unless authorized by the webmaster, reproduction of any picture, web page or pages on this website, www.exploringthenorth.com, for placement on the internet is a copyright infringement. All right, title and interest in and to the material on these web pages, the web site, in whole or in part, and in and to this url and the urls contained within, is the property of the webmaster. . All website design, text, graphics,selection and arrangement thereof are the copyrighted works of Char Simons. Made on a Mac!